Improving app discoverability and reaching your target users in the right place is the start to growing your app, and can often be your first mobile touchpoint with either current customers or entirely new audiences.
To gain new users organically, you should create a strategy that accounts for organic promotion (App Store Optimization, PR, a microsite, social promotion) and targeted, intelligent advertising. Using ads to reach new users will dramatically increase your impressions, awareness and new installs. Plus, investing in paid ads has another big benefit: with the right analytics in place, you can track the lifetime of users acquired through those sources - not just first-touch metrics. You can:
- Tap into the reach of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and create highly-targeted campaigns to audience subsets
- Discover the sources, partners and channels that drive the most users
- Discover the sources, partners and channels that drive the most valuable users - these first two might not be the same!
- Optimize your spend over time to focus on the channels where your most engaged users are
Once you’ve captured the download, you need to ensure from the first app open that your users will come back again and again (20% of users abandon an app after their first experience). Another part of the acquisition puzzle is what happens during that first app open - and how you engage users with valuable information from the get-go:
- Create a welcome campaign using in app messaging or distinct onboarding screens that:
- Introduces key features and points to how to easily access them
- Prompts for a first action in the app, such as provide usage tips and asking them to try it now
- Rewards action, such as the ability to earn points with feature usage or sending new users a first time discount coupon
- Create call-outs that point to important app features while the user is navigating the app for the first time (versus on the homescreen)
- Secure a push notifications opt-in in the initial app open after a user has had the chance to interact with a few features and screens - if not, save the ask for the second app open